New Jersey Drug Crimes Lawyer
When a person is charged with a drug crime in the State of New Jersey, they may be unsure of the potential consequences of drug charges is intimidating and can lead to uncertainty and doubt.
For this very reason, it is extremely important to work with an experienced drug lawyer with the required skills and experience needed to maximize the chances of a positive outcome. Seasoned attorneys understand how drug cases work in New Jersey.
From the initial case evaluation, through examination of the evidence, to questioning witnesses at trial, attorneys will work with clients to obtain the best possible outcome for their unique case. This vigorous and thorough approach to defending drug charges works to protect clients and their rights.Types of Drug Charges in New Jersey
Drug cases in New Jersey can range from the simple possession of one ounce or less of marijuana, or more severe charges, such as the manufacture and distribution of narcotics or opiates.
The outlines of the individual crimes as well as the possible penalties can be found in the New Jersey Laws at NJ Rev Stat § 2C:35-5 (2016).
Potential penalties for these drug crimes can be severe and range from a crime of the fourth degree with a maximum penalty of up to 18 months in jail, through a crime of the first degree that carries a minimum of 10 years to a maximum of 20 years in prison. More information about potential penalties can be found at Drug Charges and Penalties In New Jersey.
New Jersey drug charges may also include the possession of certain items with the intent to use them to produce or consume drugs. Examples of this include hypodermic needles, grow lights, or certain drug packaging materials.Drug Offense Penalties
While only considered a disorderly person offense, these charges can still result in up to six months in prison with significant fines and loss of a driver’s license. Additional information about disorderly person level charges is located at Disorderly Persons in New Jersey.
Drug crimes in New Jersey include, but are not limited to:
- Possession or distribution of a hypodermic needle for drug use NJ Rev Stat 2C:36-6 (2016)
- Operating a controlled substance manufacturing facility NJ Rev Stat 2C:35-4 (2016)
- Possession or distribution of heroin NJ Rev Stat 2C:35-5 (2016)
- Possession or distribution of narcotics NJ Rev Stat 2C:35-5 (2016)
- Possession or distribution of marijuana NJ Rev Stat 2C:35-5 (2016)
Drug charges in New Jersey are varied and complex. New Jersey drug attorneys are knowledgeable about these charges and have the experience to provide clients with more detailed information about what to expect when they have been charged with anything from a disorderly person infraction through a first-degree crime.Working with an Attorney
If you are charged with a drug crime in New Jersey, you need to take action to protect your rights. From possible jail time to significant fines, to a loss of your driver’s license, New Jersey drug law penalties are extremely strict.
Even if this is your first offense, a criminal record that includes drug charges will change your life. Our attorneys have experience working with people just like you to ensure that you are given the best possible outcome considering your unique circumstances. Contact our firm today to discover how a New Jersey drug lawyer can help you.
- New Jersey Drug Conspiracy Lawyer
- New Jersey Drug Possession Lawyer
- New Jersey Drug Distribution Lawyer
- New Jersey Drug Paraphernalia Lawyer
- New Jersey Drug Possession with Intent to Distribute Lawyer
- New Jersey Drug Manufacturing Lawyer
- New Jersey Volume Dealer Lawyer
- New Jersey Drug Trafficking Lawyer
- New Jersey Prescription Drug Lawyer
- New Jersey Possession of Marijuana Lawyer